A copy of the report, seen by Business Insider Africa, showed that majority of the professional developers in Africa (85%) are men, with women developers making up only 15% of the total number.
Regarding age, 80% of Africa’s professional developers are less than 35 years old. Specifically, about 33% are between 18 and 24, even as 47% are between 25 and 34 years old. Those between 45-54 make up only 3% of the total number of professional developers in Africa.
Their professional programming skills range from mobile to web and app development. According to the report, one in two African software developers can build apps for Android.
Based on their skills and experience, software developers are well compensated. In 2021, remuneration for software developers in Africa increased by 11%. Mid-senior career developers earn the most, especially the ones in advancing economies like South Africa. For context, mid-career developers earn about $25.5 000 per annum, while senior career developers earn $55.5 000.
“African developers have strong programming experience in both web and mobile. One in two developers builds apps for Android…Software developer compensation rose by an average of 11% in 2021. Mid-to-senior level developers and professionals in Advancing countries benefited most from this trend,” said a part of the report.
The continent’s booming tech startup ecosystem is spurring the demand for African developers. The demand is projected to reach new heights as growth in the ecosystem continues to skyrocket over the long term.
Below are the top ten African countries with the highest concentration of software developers, according to the report by Google.
- South Africa: Has the highest concentration of software developers in Africa, with a total of 121 000.
- Egypt: Has a total of 89 000 professional developers as of 2021.
- Nigeria: This country also has a total of 89 000 professional software developers.
- Kenya: Has 60,000 professional developers.
- Morocco: Has 50 000 professional developers.
- Algeria: This country has a total of 29 000 professional developers.
- Tunisia: Has a total of 23 000 professional developers.
- Cameroon: Has a total of 21 000 professional developers.
- Ethiopia: Has a total of 19 000 professional developers.
- Ghana: Has 18 000 professional developers.